Friday, February 18, 2011

3. Mockingjay

So the only thing that might possibly be left for this is the writing style.  If you've read the first two books, there isn't anything I can say to get you hooked if you aren't already.  MOCKINGJAY is the third and final book of THE HUNGER GAMES series.  The books, as I'm sure you've already noticed, are written in first person AND in present tense.  This is rather different, for me.  Most books I've read have been written from the view of a narrator (with a few exceptions, of course) and in past tense.  Collins writes well.  Her story flows with a type of grace that seems to only come to natural born writers.  As you can probably already tell, I have thoroughly enjoyed these books. 

Something I've decided to start doing is "grading" the books.  Perhaps rating is a better word?  I should say in advance, though, that the grading system will be rather... unfair.  Just because a book is well written doesn't mean that it automatically deserves an A.  I've read far too many truly incredible books to just slap an A on every mildly interesting book that passes my way.  Not many books have the capability to measure up to the OUTLANDER series, ANITA BLAKE, VAMPIRE HUNTER series, or the MERRY GENTRY series.  Add to that THE HUNGER GAMES books, THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE, THE TEA ROSE, and a few select others and books with titles like "the duke's mistress" just seem to fall humerously short of even a B.

That being said, I give THE HUNGER GAMES, CATCHING FIRE, and MOCKINGJAY all outstanding A+'s!

I hope you enjoyed these as much as I did <3.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment