Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Beginning

Here I sit, on my favorite weekday, and I can't help but wonder what to write here?  What makes a good first post?  Should it be profound? Funny? Boring?  Informative?  Maybe a little of everything if nothing better comes to mind...  My name is Amanda, I'm a student, a bride-to-be, a daughter, a friend, and so much more. But I am also bored and overwhelmed with my schedule.  So here it is.  My solution to...what ... life, perhaps?...   Coffee and books are two of my most cherished pleasures in life.  There is nothing quite like a good cup of coffee and an all consuming book to dive into.  Any avid reader out there knows the kind of book I'm talking about.  The kind that becomes part of you.  The kind of book that reaches inside you and grabs a hold of a bit of the very fiber that makes you who you are.  The characters become real, you love them, you hate them, you cry with them, and you mourn their deaths and rejoice with their births.  Too much?  Yeah, I thought so, too.  But it is true, so here it shall stay.  Unfortunately, instead of cuddling up with a good book right now, I have to do housework instead.  


It's such a chore to be a good housekeeper. :P


4 comments:

  1. Don't you just hate having to give up reading for housework? :P What book are you on? It seems like Anita has a larger following than Merry does and everyone really gets into the books. There was even one girl that got a tatoo of Jean Claude! I'm not sure I've ever loved a character quite to that point. Well, actually, maybe Mr. Darcy, but I'd probably get my favorite quote rather than a person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished chapter seventeen in Swallowing Darkness. (I can't help thinking of that title with a dirty mind... I keep thinking that it has a double meaning.) And I've noticed the larger following with Anita Blake as well. I can see myself getting a tattoo of Jamie, easily. A quote from my favorite book wouldn't be a bad idea for a tattoo... I'll have to ponder that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was the same way, I constantly thought that had a double meaning, lol. I seriously considered getting a tatoo of my favorite quote from something (I have many) but decided not because the places quotes would look good would either hurt (nerves) or be something I'd need to wear certain clothes to conceal if I ever wanted to get a job or whenever I see my family, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about a book that becomes part of you. That you constantly need to find out the rest, need to savour turning the pages, reading it chapter by chapter.
    There is one thing that disappoints me about books though. The endings.
    Not that they're not good and all; the opposite, I love finding out what happens.

    But when a book finishes, I feel.... empty.
    Completely.
    And if a series of books finishes I don't know what to do with myself for a while.
    Until I find something else to do.
    I'm going too enjoy reading your blog by the way. I like the way you write. :)

    Vii:)

    ReplyDelete